Food for thought - A Calcutta food fiesta
Somebody took the time to make this list. How many have you tried ?
These are all available in Calcutta
Kabiraji Cutlet from Regent (S N Banerjee Road)
Moghlai Parota from Anadi Cabin (S N Banerjee Road)
Kosha Mangsho from Golbari (Shyambazar)
Phulkopir Singara from Mrityunjoy (Lansdowne)
Double Egg Chicken Roll from Kusum, Hot Kati @ Park Steet)(Campari @ Gariahat & Nizam is a close contender!)
Chicken Rezala from Shabbir (off C R Avenue)
Beef Steak with Peeper Sauce at Oly pub (with beer!!)
Ujjala's Chanachur ( no comparison anywhere)
Telebhaja from Putiram (College Street)
Daab Chigri from Kewpies (Elgin Lane)
Daak Banglo Mutton/Chicken from Oh! Calcutta
Chicken Cutlet from Baked & Fried/Mukherjee Sweets (Ballygunge Place)
Bijoli Grill's Fish Roll
Mochar Chop Dhoka from Apanjan (Sadananda Road)
Boudir's Lebu Cha (Deshapriya Park)
Kochuri & Tarkari from Tasty Corner (Mandeville Gardens)
Phuchka/Churmur/ Dahi Phuchka from Bilas or Boudi (Southern Avenue)
Chicken Cutlet near Samur (Bhowanipur)
Mishti Doi & Rosogolla from Mithai (Beckbagan)
Sandesh (all types) from Balaram (Bhowanipur) (Naram pak & Ice cream
Pantua from Bancharam
Indrani from Ganguram
Rabri from Chittaranhan
Darbesh from Sen Mahasay
Amritti from Bhim Nag/Ganguram, Maniktala (Jalebis are no match)
I wish I could add -
Skyroom's Prawn Cocktail & Mixed Grill & Baked Alaska
Blue Fox's Lobster Thermidor - NOT anymore....
Mandarin Fish from Waldorf is no more available!!
These are unmatched:
Chelo Kabab from Peter Cat
Phulkopir Shingara: samosas don't stand a chance against these.
Phuchka: gol-gappas aren't a match on phuchkas.
Karaishutir Kochuri: a seasonal favourite, have it with alur dam.
Luchi: puri and phulkas - no comparison.
Alurdom: the world's best. Try the offering at Vivekananda Park.
Jhalmuri: a unique concoction, with nothing to equal it.
Telebhaaja: these and jhalmuri are like 'made for each other'.
Chanachur: many have tried unsuccesfully to steal the formula, MNCs included!
Alukabli: where will you get something like this?
Ghugni: again, chana is not the same at all.
Radhaballavi: try it with alurdom or cholar daal.
Chanp: even Pakistani cricketers have sampled these, in Chitpur.
Rezala: out of this world, just out of this world!
Paradiser Sharbat: there is one which is green, and another, pink. No college student from Presidency or the University has failed to sample these!
Lere Biscut: needed to make the batter for chop-katlet.
Chicken Kabiraji: an unbelievable variation on the chicken cutlet.
Moton Afghani: an equally innovative presentation of the mutton cutlet.
Dimer Kalia: again, where do you get something like this?
Kasha mangsho: it's become an institution now.
Roll: the ubiquitous mutton, chicken or egg roll. Unquestionably superior to any variants in any other city of the world.
Coffee houser coffee: try the float with ice cream.
Bharer chaa: on the Maidan, from shining brass vessels on a rainy day.
And not to be missed in all this,
Pan unmatched, even in Benaras or Lucknow. Honestly!
The sweeter side
Roshomalai: a creamy, mouth-watering delight!
Jilipi: smaller than the jalebis and tastes quite different.
Lal(Misti) doi: is an experience by itself!
Kamala bhog: a pale yellow orb, delicately sweetened.
Notun gurer sondesh: a winter speciality available in no other city.
Rosogolla: simply needs no introduction.
Natun gurer Rosogolla: the latest innovation.
There are many, many more traditional favourites.
Shitabhog: pure white, sweetened to just the right extent.
Mihi Dana: golden yellow, saffron scented.
Maalpoa: rich brown pancakes, dripping in sugar syrup.
Ranga alur pithey: another traditional favourite in winter.
Some special one's:
1. Aamer morobba - the best outside Gariahat market
2. Kuler achar - the best outside Gariahat market
3. Shukno mashla makha tetul - Available with the churanwalas outside all schools, much to the delight of the students and dismay of the parents !!
4. Dulaler tal michri
5. Dulaler hojmi - mind boggling and healthy too
6. Bikrampurer kashundi - Mustard just pales next to this
7. Machher kochuri - Where else can you have fish in such an innovative form ????
8. Churmur - In my opinion this is slightly better than jhalmuri and phuchka. The sad thing of course is that it is unheard of in the rest of the country.
9. Alukabli - Another must at Vivekananda Park or opposite Menoka Cinema
10. Muri ghonto - Defies description
11. Mochar chop - A delight even for the staunchest non vegetarians
12. Kumro phul bhaja - In tiny little food joints around Chittaranjan Avenue
13. Kada paker sandesh - A sure winner, especially the jalbhara talshansh with the liquid gur filling, which is sublime
14. Darbesh - Our own version of the laddoo
15. Bondey - How does one describe this sticky sweet delicacy ?
16. Patishapta - A delicate crepe with a filling of coconut and gur
17. Chhanar payesh - Better than rabdi anyday and does not weigh your stomach down...